This blog is my thoughts, feelings, and opinions about the world and life around me and you. I see the world through a Christian's eyes and this is how I write about it. Whether it be criticism or praise, I am very direct about what I see as was Christ himself. Its time that I share what I have to say with whoever would like to listen. Enjoy what you read and I welcome anything you have to say about it. In Christ

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Carpet Time: Are we really listening?

So I was introduced to this concept of "Carpet Time" by a friend via her blog. It is actually a really simple, effective and fun way to relax and get away from the world a little while. Honestly, the best part is that it gives you time to actually listen, listen to what God has to say. "Carpet Time" is an easy thing to accomplish. Just lay down on your floor in a closed off room, turn off all your lights, hook up the I-pod and listen to your favorite worship song. Mine is "Everything" by Lifehouse, becasue of what the words mean to me. Gets you thinking then soon enough, has you listening. This is what brings me to the point I want to make in this post. When was the last time you actually sat and listened to God? I mean really LISTENED to what He had to say.

I struggled with something a little while back, that makes perfect sense to me now. I did not like praying alone because I always felt, well alone while doing it. I did not feel that God was talking back or even listening to what I was saying. However, when I prayed in a group, I could feel His presence there, listening. So for a while I tried to figure out what was going on, and how can I change it. Then during a bible study, it hit me. It was not that God wasd not talking, it was that I was not listening! Everytime I prayed, when I was done, I would jump into bed or go on with my day. Its like hanging up the phone when you finish talking, you do not even give the other person a chance to talk. This is what I was doing, hanging up the phone with God and not giving Him the chance to talk.

This is what "Carpet Time" gives you. It gives you the opportunity to just shut up and listen to what God has planned for you and to answer the questions that we have been asking for. It even says in scripture that if you ask you shall recieve. It can not be more plain that that. He wasnt to give the desires of our hearts, and with that further His kingdom. Could it be true that it is not that God is not speaking, but man is not listening? Yeah, I think this can be 100% true!

I have challeneged myself to start listening more to what God has instore for me. Not only for the answers I want, but also the answers I need. The purpose he has for me will be revealed in prayer and patience (something I have already touched on a couple times). I do nopt know why this subject has been on my heart so much recently. Maybe its because I am taking drastic steps in my life and I need His guiadance. Maybe it's because I finally figured out that this is not my life, when I accepted Christ into my heart, he then took control. I just have to let go of the reigns and give in to His plan for me.

A good friend of mine and his wife recently quit their jobs to pursue a job in South Korea. In the last week or so I have been praying about this a lot, as I am sure they have been. They will be gone a year, away from everything they know (family, friends, etc.) and they will know nothing except this: God is guiding them. They have each other yes, but more importantly they have God guiding them to places they never thought imaginable. They are picking up and being obeident to what God has planned fr them. It is such an amazing sight to see! They are literally going to the other side of the world, with really nothing but knowing teh God will take care of them. I admire them so much for their courage and understanding that this is not their life or, in this case, their marriage. It is His!

So try this out. Just pick a time of the day/night you can be alone for no more than 5-6 minutes. Just the length of the song you choose. Turn off your cell phone and computer, put all your focus on Him. And while you are listening to your favorite worship song, just listen....listen to what God is trying to tell you. Try to do this once a week. I mean what is 6 minutes a week for God? And the best part is that you do not have to go anywhere special, or do anything hard. All you have to do is listen, and then follow. He does not call us to understand, he just calls us to follow. (Re-read Matthew 4:19-20)

All of our lives are changing, but are they changing in God's will or our own. My worst fear is that I would not fulfill the purpose God has for me. But as long as we are obedient to his plan and we listen to Him, this fear no longer has to linger.

Have fun with this one!

1 comment:

  1. I'm well acquainted with 'carpet time.' It is a term that one of my role models (Jean-luc) shared with me years ago. I haven't ever tried it with a song... but it is worth a try. I always find myself distracted, I like the silence.

    ReplyDelete